Friday, April 6, 2012

Easy Cheesy Sauce

I typically use my mom's low-fat version of alfredo sauce (will still have to remember to post it sometime since it is a favorite), but I didn't have ricotta or cottage cheese last week. So, that prompted a recipe search to make a cheese sauce with ingredients I had in the fridge. I found one which was not only simple to make, but also was a huge hit with all the family-especially my 4 year old nephew!!

Ingredients & Process
(serves 4)
2 Tbs flour
2Tbs butter
1 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese (so far I've used mozzarella and sharp cheddar, both were yummy)
1 tsp vinegar (I read that adding an acidic medium helps prevent the cheese from being stringy)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
dash of salt & pepper to taste

In small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and then add the flour. Cook the roux for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent burning. This nicely cooks the flour to prevent the raw taste.
first  step-preparing the roux
Add 1/2 the milk, stir to combine, and then add the other 1/2 of the milk. Stir gently as this cooks and begins to thicken. Right when you see the first bubble or two, but before it fully starts to boil, turn off the heat and add the cheese a couple tablespoons at a time.
I tilted the pan to try showing how the milk thickened

Stir and allow it to melt before adding more cheese. Add the vinegar and seasonings. Stir. Taste test if you want (who wouldn't!). Serve & enjoy!!!
Mmm, the cheese sauce is ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment